Sunday, January 5, 2014

tiny town

Tiny Town - accordian folded paper images
I made this little folding town out of architecture from some of my paintings...and when I stood it on the shelf in the gallery the twinkle lights behind reflected in just the right places to imagine a tree or a moon in the night sky. heh heh. I really don't know what use it will serve, or what I will do with it, but I thought it sort of magical, all the same. I think I might also make a row of folding houses from some beach house images I've painted too. Would have a different look. Clearly I have a little too much time on my hands! 
Kind of brought back a flood of memories while cutting around the paper shapes.  I have this one memory when I was about 6, confined to bed with a childhood illness; my mum gave me a paper doll book. I hadn't had one before, and I was so happy with that book! I was so excited to play with it that I hurriedly took my little scissors and cut out all the dolls and the clothes!  Then my mum came back into the room and noticed that in my excitement and haste I had actually cut off all the tabs by which to hang the clothes on the dolls! O dear, disappointment!! "Never mind" she said, and patiently helped me tape all of the tabs back on. 

10 comments:

  1. What a great Mom! I love this. I was a super fan of paper dolls too. I don't know if little girls get them now, but they were so much fun -- being able to put different outfits on the dolls all the time.

    Happy New Year. I so love your work.

    XOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what a wonderful thing of your mom...motherhoood is patience I hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Barbara, wonderful recalling the good and loving memories of our moms.It's a way to keep them near. I knew you'd love paper dolls too! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Keith, thanks for visiting and for your comment. yes patience is a virtue of many many mothers. but it is also a privilidge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your beautiful folded street scene Sally. Such a great idea. I also really enjoyed hearing the story about your paper dolls as a child. I felt quite moved by it. What a lovely mother! I too have memories of paper dolls and clothes with tabs - very magical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your town. and i love the story.
    cutting paper is like wine for me. i am my happiest with scissors and musty paper. and some glue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story Sally and I love what you've done with the houses. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, happy you could identify with the joys of paper dolls, and like the tiny town! fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your comments Annette!I knew you'd like cut and paste too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janice! Nice to hear from you! I will see you next month if you are at the Artist Project cuz I'm planning to visit it again with a painter pal! Hope you had a merry holiday:)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!