Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Playtime

Play - oil on board - 30x30
Having a stretch of time without deadlines and commitments has been fun for experimenting with different ideas and process. I've been fooling around a bit with mixed media...getting the idea down quickly in acrylic, then switching into oils for surface quality and a texture(which you cant see in this photo).  The goal I had in mind was to keep the marks fresh, airy and spontaneous; like a child's outlook on the world.
As far as subjects go, I used to do many paintings of children in watercolor while my children were growing up.  At that time, and as a young mother it was important to me to bear witness to the little moments of discovery that only children make you notice. I haven't painted children for a long, long time, but recently a visit with my grandaughter whet my appetite to give the subject another go in oils. It was fun!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sally,

    Love this. I so want to paint my granddaughter -- well I already have, and I love your whole description of this. Perfect.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Barbara...always love to get them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you carried the flowers over onto the dress. Such a typical pose for a little one! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Mary! Thank you for leaving me a comment, turns out Ella's dress had big flowers on it, so I got the idea from that, and then just went with the butterflies/flowers/childhood energy surrounding! Ella enjoys turning upside down and looking at the world...i suppose lots of little ones like to do that...

      Delete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!