Wednesday, December 2, 2015

art = apples; teaching art = oranges

Autumn Pasture - oil on panel - SOLD
Over the past couple of years I had started up a nice little flow of teaching one day a week during the fall and winter months in my studio. Teaching in my own studio was way better for me than going out to a school to teach art from, as it meant I didn't have to lug all my equipment back and forth.  But this fall I didn't teach. I felt I needed the time in the fall to catch up with my own work and work on some  larger pieces. 


Autumn Hills 2 - oil on panel - SOLD
Teaching art and art making are two different things entirely.   Not different as in 2 varieties of apples, but more like apples and oranges.  For me, doing my own art means spending time on my own to work it out, think it through, make lots of wrong turns and finally arrive at something that sits right with me.  The whole process of the art making is actually about discovery, so in a way it is like being a student...not a teacher.

As an art teacher, I feel responsible to be able to give 'what I know' to those that are eager to learn. I want to be able to be in the frame of mind to start and work through my process in a comprehensive way.  I think that's why I couldn't teach this year.  With limited time, due to not being able to work over the summer, I wanted to devote all my time to the art making.  So I said no to teaching.

I'm sure I'll say yes again at some point.  I enjoy teaching very much when I'm in the right frame of mind.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I know what you mean, and I find one energizes the other.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Barbara! nice to hear from you, I hope your December is going swimmingly! lots of hearty warm good cheer to you and yours, hope you have a lovely holiday season. xo

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!