Friday, September 19, 2014

We the jury...

The Belleville Artists Association's annual juried art show selection is Saturday Sep 20.  I will be jurying  along with Prince Edward County artist Mile Murtanovski. It's not an easy job, but it's exciting.  Hey, it's lookin at art!!   There are around 100 entries; 60  are to be chosen from these for the show. 
What will I be looking for?   Impact.  Originality.  Proficiency.  Passion.  Vision.  Structure.  Cohesion.  In the end any jury decision comes down to an opinion.  That is all.  That is the nature of it.  Different jurors will have different opinion's and the decisions of the jury will be influenced by that.  For anyone (like me)who has been disappointed by the opinion of a jury in the past, take heart.  It is only an opinion, and probably one from someone who see's quite differently from you.  If there is one thing we need to know as artists, it is to listen to our own voice.  Constructive thoughts can be helpful, but opinions are arbitrary. 
photo resources & thumbnail
Here's what I've been working on in the studio yesterday and today.  It's still a work in progress, but I'm liking the direction it's taking so far.  You can see the photos I'm working from and the thumbnail sketch for the square format. I'm working on a 30x30" canvas which I love working big, but it's funny I find it takes more planning.  I have to premix amounts of paint ahead, as I need more of it to cover areas that I would normally sweep on with one stroke on a smaller panel.  I now know that is why smaller works often have so much more vitality.  Anyway...

work in progress - oil on canvas - 30x30"

4 comments:

  1. This is shaping up beautifully Sally! sorry this is a belated comment on the previous post but I can honestly say I could barely pick a difference between the two - which is a worry as an artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha...yes i know there hardly was a difference, but it was just something i was thinking about, and in the end decided not to. thanks for the encouragement Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally,

    I love this work in progress.Great thoughts. I know so many people defeated by jury choices. It is important to listen to your own voice, and I know you'd make a fine jury member.

    I hear you on going big, but boy do I love the feel of the big canvas.

    XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Barbara, thanks for all your fun comments! I also love the freedom in a big canvas, but i do find the mixing of the paint a little more challenging...more planning needed than when small.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!