Saturday, February 14, 2015

Saturday Valentine

work in progress -oil on canvas
24 x 36 inches
Love and flowers. It's Valentines day! Dave and I shovelled snow together. heh. yep so romantic. 
I've been working on this large-ish roses bouquet painting.  I'm kind of liking the ambiguity in the unresolved parts, so I'm leaving it alone for now. I'm at the point when I cant really see it anymore anyway.  I just noticed the photo is showing some glare. I will have to get a better picture for my files, but this will do for this post. 
While I've been painting today I started listening to the audio book by Oscar Wilde, 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.  I've not listened to much by Oscar Wilde before. I can see why he's considered a 'classics' writer.  Very overflowing literary style, but the kind of sentences that make you want to stop the tape and conjure up the 'image' described in words before you go on to listen to the next bit.  So far I'm enjoying it...it's about an artist and his portrait painting.  I really love books about artists.  I'm also reading a book from the library titled: "I've Always Loved You" by Robin Oliveira,  hint:  it's also about artists! surprise!  My friend Barbara Muir put me on to that one because she wrote about it in her blog. Thank you Barbara!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day to you also Sally! I love your flowers! They look beautiful as is!! Just what we need in New England! Flowers! Bring on Spring!!!!! Now!
    Stay warm!
    Michael
    Another foot of snow tonight!!!!!! GRRRRR and BRRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Michael,
      i was thinking of working into this more, but have decided to leave it as is...in part because of your input.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sally,

    So knocked out by your roses -- absolutely gorgeous. I love the book about Cassatt and Degas. They were so dedicated. Happiest of Valentine's Days and thank you for the mention. You are too sweet! ;-)

    XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like em Barbara, i know you LOVE flowers too:)

      Delete
  3. I love the color of these roses, just the right romantic tone , a stunner !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jane! I see you have been painting roses too:)

      Delete
  4. I love this Mom! Its gorgeous! You have alot of Nanas style coming through in this painting even though it is with another medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly! thanks how nice that you see Nana's style coming through, i take that as a huge compliment. Some of my fav paintings of Nana's are her roses. cant wait to see you guys tonight

      Delete
  5. Oh Wow! Sally this is absolutely gorgeous! You are such a clever and versatile critter! You are such an inspiration! So many beautiful works and interesting chit chat since I last visited your blog. I'm sorry I've been absent from commenting for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!