Monday, March 25, 2013

red door update



Finito! Emily and I finished our contribution to the Red Door Art Project last week.  I tweaked it a bit yesterday after I got home from Ottawa and viewed it with fresh eyes...this is now the final version...it's awaiting Emily's signature..I added mine to the bottom portion last night. You probably cant tell in the photo, but there is a lot of metallic bronze and silver paint used; for example the piano keys are silver(not white, like they look here) and have a nice reflective quality..as does the twinkling stars in the night sky. We probably should come up with a name for the door...haven't quite solidified that yet...any suggestions?  Hopefully we will turn over the door this week to the Gilda's club office.  I'm not sure how many doors will be in the auction, but I cant wait to see what the other celebrities and local artists come up with. It was a fun experience doing this.

It was also fun being 'vendor for a day' at the Ottawa hospital on Friday, at one of the hospital auxilliary tables.

Holly was just great, helping me load, unload and set up my display, and she promoted my efforts to all her co-workers... I am so lucky to have my amazing daughter in my cheering section!  

My friend AEmilia visited me and brought lunch...deliscious dahl soup and naan bread; that's her in the piccy with me. She is good at sales! wowzie she can work it. heh heh. Thank you AEmilia! My 2 tables were set up outside the hospital gift shop. I enjoyed the experience ...I sold some small paintings and gifts. It gave me a good idea of what to prepare for if I do it another time..perhaps one day in early December, before Christmas. 


13 comments:

  1. Hi Sally,
    Good to hear you had a good day on Friday and enjoyed the experience. Must have been lovely to spend time with your daughter and friend too. Your stand looks so pretty and bright - who wouldn't want to buy your things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally, forgot to mention your wonderful finished red door. It looks fun, bold and atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Sarah! HOpe you had a good weekend... how did you find the test? I'm sure you know more than most Canadians do!
    Thanks for the nice comments. I changed the doors border from what we had originally planned, the main problem was the consistency of the paint giving us issues. Next time(if there ever is one) I would stick to painting a door with my oils instead of opting for the acrylics...but it was a time thing. Anyway I'm good with it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally,

    What a beautiful job you've done. I love it. And you are amazing. I'm a bit behind because I've got Steven's bad cold, but I am blown away by your work.

    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was great that I was able to help out with the set up and take down. Your stand looked gorgeous! People are still talking about it. I LOVE how your red door turned out! Really impressive~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally and Emily,
    That's one beautiful door! You should do well with it.I love the silver piano keys. Congratulations! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara, thanks for your comment, and I hope you get better soon from that nasty cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Holly! Loved spending time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janice,
    Welcome, and thank you! Nice to have your comments here...Emily came over today and signed her name, so we're done now. I'm happy with the funky look of the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sally, what a great collaboration on the door - it is absolutely beautiful!
    I loved seeing your stall at the hospital - so colourful and beautifully presented. It must have been a lot of work but a lot of fun too. Nice for you to have the support of your daughter and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy! Doing the door was a fun experience, I'm glad you like it! And thanks for your complimentary approval of my stall. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey thanks Keith...Happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!