Saturday, April 12, 2014

Breakers bar and grill

Dawn Break at Breakers - oil on panel - 8 x 6 inch
 Breakers is the name of this groovy little pink pub on the beach in New Smyrna Beach.  It's a 5 minute walk from the condo.  All the buildings on the beach face east; which means that the best light for painting any of them is early morning light.  
I don't know why, but for some reason yesterday morning I was awake at 4:45 am, and I couldn't get back to sleep.  At 6:30 am, I decided to tiptoe out of the apartment with my iPad and get some photos of Breakers at dawn.  It wasn't exactly dark; I got there before the sun came up.  As I watched it rose slowly, a big fluorescent orangey pink ball on the sea's horizon.  In about 10 minutes it began to infuse colour into the muted mauve morning.
While painting this one, I was conscious of wanting to keep the life in the sky, giving life to the virtually empty beach, save for the joggers and early beachcombers.
Breakers is our food stop of choice when we arrived...it will probably be our last breakfast stop before we head home. All along the full length of the windows that face the surf inside there is a bar with about 30 barstools, offering customers a great view for watching the waves and folks on the beach,while dining.

8 comments:

  1. Getting up early to catch the light is a lovely thing to do on holiday. You have certainly captured an atmospheric sky.
    Again love the colours"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sally!
    Where have I been! How am I missing all the wonderful art in your latest posts! I so love the wild and ever so colorful clouds in "Breakers bar and grill!" The pink building compliments the blues in the fantastic sky and neutrals in the foreground! One of my favorites of my many Sally favorites! It certainly is dawn at breakers!!
    Also love "Atlantic Avenue Beach Trail!" Love the dabbles of bright light! Shimmering comes to mind! Love your color choices! Certainly is a Holiday Vibe in this one! Bravo! I am so amazed at all the great art you are able to get in such small surfaces! Keep them coming buddy!
    Your trying to catch up on his favorite art blogs buddy!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for looking, see you soonish! Looking forward to seeing your progress with the Emily series

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boys Michael, you sure now how to make an artist feel great, your delight and enthusiasm is infectious, thank you for being a good art buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting and I'm working on not being jealous because it snowed today. ;-)

    XOXOXOXOXO

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this Sally!! The colours are gorgeous! The sky is spectacular!! So much atmosphere in the whole painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, it was a great break away from the norm, and it sorta showed up in the little paintings too. Since being home I've been pretty busy with family here on the weekend and catching up on stuff. I'm opening the porch gallery May 1st so also need to fit in giving it a spruce-up and an airing. Just repainted the porch screen door today...lotsa little jobs. hopefully i can paint again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Wendy, I really wanted to make it sing, and I guess from your comments, it's worked:) appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!