Monday, December 22, 2014

Holiday Window

Holiday Window - oil on linen - 7x9 "
I used to work at the little frame shop that is featured in this painting. Setting up the Christmas window used to begin early in November so that it was all sparkly and bright during the Kingston Santa Claus parade.  I remember one year we had just set up the display; a giant Christmas tree made of picture frames. During the evening parade a customer came in and wanted the exact picture that was hanging in the middle of the tree...it meant dismantling our creation to unhinge it.  ha ha ha! The joys of Christmas merchandising! After that, we were careful when planning our holiday windows to make easy access to the items!
It was fun most of the time, lots of creativity and interesting things needing framing, making every job quite unique.  I still enjoy popping in for a chat with the work gang when I'm in town.  BUT, I do love, love, love being a full time artist now.  I illustrated my personal Christmas card this year with the image from this painting.  Merry Christmas everybody! xoxoxo

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely Christmas image, wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the new Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Jane! Have a wonderful year in art and health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay My Canadian Art Buddy Sally! I am so very sorry I am so very late in commenting on your wonderful art! Of course all your paintings are spectacular! This current work is off the charts wonderful. Certainly captured the holiday season in the most wondrous way! Keep the beautiful art coming again in 2015!
    Happy And A Very Healthy New Year!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sally, what wonderful December posts! I was horrified when I realised I hadn't visited your blog for so long! December whipped past in what felt like minutes! I hope you enjoyed visiting Nova Scotia and seeing your family. I love all the paintings you've posted and enjoyed reading about all your latest creative escapades. I so agree with what you wrote about the best art happening while in the moment and not worrying about posterity. How nice to meet others who had also sojourned in Australia for a time. I'll be interested to see what you come up with by painting fabrics with acrylics. I also love textiles.
    I'm so impressed that you are able to be a full-time artist now - it just shows that hard work (along with your amazing talent) pays off!
    I hope you had a great Christmas and I hope 2015 with see you continue to thrive artistically and in every other way as well!!
    Your Aussie Art Buddy!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Happy New Year Sally.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael my American art buddy! hee hee, thank you for the lovely comment on this holiday window painting. I hope you had a very peaceful holiday season and I wish you all health and happiness and lots of painting time in 2015

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello Wendy my Aussie art buddy! thank you for leaving such a lovely comment. I know, December whizzes by and there never seems time for the usual mundane things, but it's a lovely month. It's a good thing January comes with less on the agenda so we can all catch our breath. Happy painting and sketching in 2015, and I'll be sure to pop into your blog soon. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Barbara! May your 2015 shine with love, peace, health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!