Friday, February 1, 2013

Gerberra's oil paintings

2 years ago when I quit my job at the framing shop, I wondered if I might partly regret it. I enjoyed the interaction with customers and staff; keeping in the loop about the ongoing local arts scene, friendships etc. Going from an art-related job to running a seasonal small business from my home and secluding myself out in the country to paint, could become a recipe for loneliness. 
Gerberras - oil on wood supports - 4 x 4 inches, each

Time has shown me otherwise.  I cannot believe how the time has flown by since then.  Not one day do i ever wish i still had the job!  These days my job takes more self dicipline...such as showing up at the easle when I'm not in the mood, doing the books when i'd rather paint, marketing etc. But it is hugely more satisfying.  Now, I stay in the loop when I want to. Good friends and art clients stay in touch.

And I read more. That's something I had stopped doing for a long time.  This week I've been reading an art book that is widely well known, but i had never got around to reading before. It's a most fascinating read: 
 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards. 




2 comments:

  1. Hello Sally:
    There do come points in one's life when one simply has to take a giant leap to move forward instead of the more comfortable small steps. You have clearly made such a leap and it is so heartening to read that it has all worked out the best for you. Freedom to make decisions with one's daily life is so wonderful but, as you say, it does come with obligations too. The right balance is what makes for success!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane and Lance,
    It's so nice to hear from you! Yes it was a leap; but i am very happy to have done it. A good life lesson for me. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!