Monday, December 14, 2015

finding time amidst Christmas prep

Holly sent me this holly
it arrived in a big box last week
This weekend I pledged myself to stay away from the shops. It worked! I pulled in my horns from Christmas prep to enjoy the weekend at home; hoping for some creativity time. It all panned out nicely, I got a jump on two commissions on the go, as well as starts on some small works featuring the Gananoque Playhouse. 
rough layout sketch
If you dont know what that is, you're not from the 'hood, as they say. Their online blurb describes The Playhouse as a "veteran, waterfront performing arts venue with two theaters for plays & musicals, plus a boat dock."  It's very popular with cottage-goers in the summer season, who travel by boat for an evening's entertainment.  Recently when I was at the art fair in Gananoque, I thought about doing something with it, so took an opportunity one morning before the show began to go over to the Playhouse and take some photo reference material.   This weekend was a perfect time to get it out of my head and into 2 dimensional sketch to work out a painting from.  We'll see where it goes from here. I want to be inventive with the colours/light. The two commissions are also only at the sketch/layout stage too, but I do feel good about where they're going.  Taking time away from usual rushing around was worthwhile and very peaceful. 

The porch gallery has a lot of roses in it at the moment!  Last night a client came by to see them.  She already has one of my rose pieces Bouquet.  It's JUST SO NICE to have a visit with an art collector.  A feel good moment for any artist, it's like taking a happiness pill or something!   The fact that someone gets so much pleasure out of, and loves what you create is such a gratifying thing!

I dont know if I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I signed up online for a 30 in 30 day challenge starting on Jan 1st, 2016.  I read about these art challenges in Wendy Barrett's book "Grabbing the Muse By The Throat", and thought, why not?  It could be a bit of fun, and a way to stay in the groove. 

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm off to Victoria tomorrow for a few days with Holly & Jeff!  Back again, for Christmas with Dave, Jane, Rachel, Matt and Ella, here at home. Very much looking forward to it. Yay December! Peace to all. xo
 







2 comments:

  1. Oh, what lovely holly from Holly! How quintessentially Christmassy! Sounds like you've had a wonderfully productive time - I love the sketch you have done for the playhouse scene. What a great idea for a painting.
    I'm so glad you are doing the challenge Sally as I am hoping to get on board again too! It will be fun to cheer each other on. (your post makes me realise how soon it is so I must get organised and sign up!)
    Merry Christmas to you and your family! Have a wonderful time in Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and post Sally. If I send out cards, they will have to be Happy New Year cards. 4 shows since the beginning of October has left me a bit behind. Meanwhile a very Merry Christmas to you and Dave!


    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!