Friday, August 7, 2015

Home again and painting, jiggety jig

Just back from a trip to Victoria for 9 days, and feeling rested and ready to paint again.  Thank goodness.  My arm and hand and fingers that were giving me aches and pains the month before we left have settled down again.  This morning I spent a few hours getting a satisfactory start on a large 'interior' painting of my favorite reading spot in the kitchen.  Maybe I'm feeling a little nostalgic about our eventual plan to move from this house, so  feeling like i want to paint what I love about the place.  It's still a work in progress but you can see how it's developing on the easel.  I've mixed up huge amounts of paint and laid the majority of it in by palette knife so far, a good way to get the paint on when working large.
On the other wall of my studio hangs a new 24x18" abstract painting.  I've titled it Solar because that's what was on my mind while I was working on it.  Near the window you can see another, smaller work in progress, it's a flower market painting that I glazed and added dark background shapes to.  I will be adding a few details and accents to it after it's fully dry.
 Sat & Sunday this weekend I'm attending an outdoor painting workshop with Phil Chadwick.  We'll be meeting in the village of Delta Saturday morning and somewhere else on Sunday morning to paint all day outdoors.  I'm really looking forward to it, it's been quite a while since I've been painting en plein air and the weather looks promising too which is great.
The photo on the bottom is a glimpse down into 'Fisherman's Wharf' which is located in the Victoria inner harbour.  A village of floating houseboats and restaurants, where you can eat your fish taco while watching the seals and otters swimming by.  Fun!
Fisherman's Wharf, Victoria, BC

 

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home! Sounds like a wonderful trip Sally! Glad your aches are on the mend! So frustrating to have pain!!! I love your work in progress! I know the feeling of leaving a home! We moved from our home in the woods years ago and I had similar feelings! Love our new home but always a bit nostalgic for our "Old" home! Love all your art and your blog! Sorry not commenting much lately. In a bit of a funk but on my way out! Take care Sally!
    Michael Lover Of Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh heh heh, Michael your comments always make me smile, so nice to hear from you, and I hope your funk goes away soon. It is such a common things for artists, the ups and down of funkytown. ha ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Your WIPs are looking great Sally! Yes it will be a very nostalgic affair having to leave your beloved home. I think it's great that you are painting your favourite spots.
    How did you get your aches and pains to go away? I too am having trouble with my art arm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a great trip. I like this painting. Your house is so lovely, no wonder you feel nostalgic about it.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!