Monday, November 19, 2012

letting myself get zingy

This commissioned piece has been in the works for quite a while. I met with the client a number of months ago, and we chatted about her requests and my vision. (She lives overlooking the lake at Portsmouth harbour) I've worked on a few small (6x8) oil sketches in preparation to get myself ready for the mood I wanted to capture in the final painting.  Above all I wanted to keep it light, breezy, fun and zingy. I began with a plan, but kept flexible to change the painting as it needed it.  

I cant show you more than this right now because it's not quite finished, but thought I'd share a sneek peak. I've been listening to a few audio books while painting this one. Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island which was a funny but a tad cynical review of the authours experience living and travelling in England. Last week it was the Biography of Jane Austen, and this week it is Margaret Lawrence's "The Stone Angel".  I'm in good company:)

2 comments:

  1. Love the painting, and also loved The Stone Angel when I read it. One of my favorite Canadian novels.

    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Barbara, yes I loved the stone angel too. I'm loving getting through the reads i've missed over the years on audio.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...make my day. I love our mini-mails!